Monday, July 11, 2011

Result if a nuclear warhead were detonated above a large body of water?

I'm sure this question must seem strange, but I was wondering about the hypothetical result of a nuclear warhead (or other comparably large explosive device) being detonated (in a city or similar) directly above a large body of water, such as a lake or swamp. I'm sure much of the water would be forced out of the lake, but would a considerable amount simply vaporise? I know this is obscure/odd, but that's why I've come here. For a bit of direction, I'm trying to gauge the overall effect of a nuclear blast on a city's water supply. I've been looking at post-apocalyptic culture and scenarios lately and I'm wondering what proportion would remain available (e.g. not vaporised). I realise that most remaining water would be incredibly irradiated - I'm not concerned with this. I just wanted a rough idea of how much would be left to 'salvage', and thought an individual body, feeling the full brunt of the force, would be the best place to start. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment